Thursday, November 26, 2020

Chapter 59 Christmas Eve Eve Part 3

 


Jon took several deep breaths as he went down off the kitchen to the patio outside.  Matt and Tony walked out to see what was going on.  “Who told Mom about the engagement?” Jon asked his brother.


“Not me,” said Tony, who looked at his younger brother.


“Not me either, and I don’t think Desi did,” Matt told Jon.


“Well, I know it wasn’t Nina, she hates talking to mom,” Tony went over and sat with his older brother.  “You getting up the nerve to call mom?”


“Yeah, I wanted to wait till tomorrow when we call to wish them a Merry Christmas,” Jon told them, wishing he still smoked, Cigarettes or weed.


“Jonny you need to put mom in her place, you’re over fifty, and she needs to cut you loose from her apron strings,” Matt told him.  Neither Desi or Nina, have seen what mom can do to a marriage.”


“Yeah I have to agree with Matt, Jonny you have a woman who brought you back to life, you really don’t want mom to run her off, do you?” Tony came over and sat with Jon at the patio table.  Matt joined them as they waited for Jon to make the call.


They were soon joined by the two wives and the future wife, all three in sweats and wrapped in blankets.


“We decided you needed some real support,” Des told them as the girls sat with their men.  Colleen snuggled close to Jon.


Jon shook his head at his family, at least his kids weren’t out here.  Bringing up his dad in his phone, he waited on him to answer.


“Hey Jonny, congratulations, I’m happy for you two,” John Sr. said.


“At least one of you is happy,” Jon told his dad.  “Mom just called on one of her bitch trips.”


“I heard her, At least you two didn’t elope to Vegas,” John Sr. laughed. “I think she’d have a heart attack.”


“Once was enough dad,” Jon told him.  “She still awake?”


“John? Where are you, is that Jonny?”  Carol Bongiovi screeched.


“Damn, she has the hearing of a bat,” John Sr. moaned.


“You got that right dad,” Jon huffed and waited till his mom was on the phone, then it started.


“Jonny, please tell me Izzie was wrong, you and that woman are not getting married,” Carol was a cross between crying and spitting mad.  “Think of your children, they just lost their mother, not to mention you lost your wife of almost 30 years of being together.”


“Mom,” was all he got out before his mother took a breath and started again.  Jon was so glad he hadn’t put the call on speaker.


“I mean really Jon what do you know about her?  She had thugs after her, are you protecting the kids from these criminals?  I mean just look at her family,” Carol took another breath as Jon chose that second to stop his mother.


“That’s it mom, I’m only saying this once, so you better listen,” Jon was so mad, he was past caring if he hurt her feelings or not.  “Since I met Colleen, it’s like I’m reborn, the kids love her and we are getting married, and it’s time the diva was put to rest.  The O’Sullivans don’t put on airs, they don’t treat people the way you do.  Colleen’s dad is the president of the country club and dad’s golf partner.  You have to agree dad has great taste in friends.  His on the city council here in East Hamptons,” Jon got up and started pacing, this was only the third in his life he had to have this kinda talk with his mother.


“But Jonny,” Carol started talking, but Jon stopped her.


“No buts mom, you will accept Colleen as my wife, or this is the line in the sand Mom, you won’t be at the wedding or allowed in our home,” Jon stopped pacing and looked at Colleen, his love for her, shined in his eyes. “You think about what I just said and make a decision, either accept my life or not, because I can’t do this anymore, it’s the end of you trying to run my life.  You have until the new year to decide to continue being a part of my family or not.” Jon disconnected the call and sat back down pulling Colleen on his lap. Colleen placed her head on his chest, and just held him till his heart stopped pounding.  Sitting in the lounger by the pool no word were needed, just the feel of being together.


Matt, Tony, and their wives left them to talk.  As they walked into the kitchen, they saw Stephanie, Jesse, Jake, and Romeo heading to the back door.

“I think they need you four,” Tony told the kids.


“Grandma?” Stephanie asked.


“Yep,” Matt told them.


“We heard daddy yelling,” Romeo told his uncles.


“Yep, now I’ll have to talk to my little agitator in the morning on what we tell granny and what we don’t,” Matt looked at Desi.  “Isabella was our mole,” Matt was sitting close enough to Jon, he heard his mother say who told her.


Desi did a face smack and rolled her eyes.


“Don’t be hard on her, we’ve already told her, never tell grandma about anything Uncle Jonny does,” Jake said as the four pulled on jackets and went outside.


Jon and Colleen lay covered under the blanket she brought out.


“Why does she hate my family so bad?” Colleen asked Jon, as her voice cracked.


“She hates everyone I ever dated.  It took years before she tolerated Dorothea,” Jon explained.  “Give her time.” 


“Give her time or what will happen if she doesn’t?” Colleen asked looking up at Jon.


“Then she won’t be welcome in our house, just like I said.  It’ll be up to the kids to go visit her, but not in our house,” Jon told Colleen, stressing the words our house.


They heard the kids joining them.


“Steph, pull out another blanket from the bench, Colleen lips are starting to turn blue,” Jon could’ve warmed her lips, if the kids hadn’t chosen that moment to join them. “Unless you want me to warm them up another way?”


Stephanie pulled the beach blanket from the bench and covered Colleen and her dad. “Not in front of us kids dad”


“Grandma on her broom again, dad?” Jesse said as he sat on the chase next to them, to be joined by his brothers. 


Stephanie sat at the foot of her dad’s chase, tucking the beach blanket corner over her knees.


“Yep, things are going to change, I drew the line in the sand, she either changes her attitude or she’s not allowed at the wedding,” Jon sat up some pulling the blanket over them more.  “And she’s not welcome in our home.  If you four want to visit, you’ll go to her place.” 


The four looked at their dad and nodded.


Alright this is Christmas time, no sad faces, no time for things we can’t control,” Colleen sat up taking her blanket with her.  “Tomorrow will be busy with cooking, parties and church.  I only want to see smiles and no shaking of packages.”  She stood up and reached down for Jon’s hand.


“Camo’s right, and I am freezing my butt off out here,” Stephanie laughed.  “And it looks like snow.”


Colleen pulled Stephanie up and shared her blanket.


“I see where I stand in the pecking order, you women stick together,” Jon laughed as he folded the beach blanket and replaced it in the bench.


“Hot chocolate and cookies before bed?” Romeo asked as he and his brothers headed to the backdoor.


“I think that could be arranged” Colleen said as Jon came up behind her and scooped her up.


Jon and Colleen laughed, as Stephanie snatched the blanket and beat them into the kitchen.


It was close to one in the morning when the house was dark and quiet.  Jon and Colleen were snuggled in the bed. Jon spooned to Colleen back, his hand resting on her stomach.

“I love you Colleen,” Jon whispered and kissed her neck.


“Love you too Jonny,” Colleen whispered back, her hand covering Jon’s.  


As they drifted off to sleep, with visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads.


5 comments:

  1. I love two chapters at once!! Thank you. This got me all warm and fuzzy as I read the proposal. Even a few tears. More please. How about two chapters a week for the next year?😁 a nice long story to look forward too. Live your writing style. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, that old bat need let Jon need stay out of
    Jon love life!!

    ReplyDelete